1. All those millions of dollars and no one could find Bryan Cranston a decent wig?
2. It still frustrates me that studios will invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a project and then not take care of the details that don’t cost anything (or cost very little, in the case of Mr. Cranston’s hair piece) like making sure the script makes sense. Colin Farrell has to save everyone from an invasion of dubious invention. There is an explanation attempted but it’s muddy at best and doesn’t stand up to much mental scrutiny. Not that any of that matters, I guess.
3. Why is Colin Farrell putting on an American accent? In this future, everyone in the world kind of lives together so what’s the point of having Farrell disguise his brogue? They do the same with Bill Nighy later in the movie. Another detail that just threw me off. Not real criticism, just annoying for me, personally.
4. Jessica Biel is mostly useless in this movie. She has one moment at the end of the film which makes you think she’s not completely terrible at her job but other than giving Farrell someone attractive to hop around with she doesn’t bring much to the picture.
5. And she’s not the actress that Kate Beckinsale is. As Farrell’s wife-turned-hunter Beckinsale is electric. She’s the best part of the movie.
6. And that movie is a big, loud, summer blockbuster that’s all special effects and no heart. Fitting that it’s a remake since nothing about it feels original.
7. If you’ve got two hours to kill and are looking for a little escapism, go see Total Recall. It’s fun and exciting and all of the guys who look like storm troopers have the storm trooper aim. They’ll miss wide and the hero will save the day. As long as you’re down for that, you’ll have fun. I’ll admit to having a little fun.
8. I guess there doesn’t need to be a reason for a lady with 3 boobs, but is there one that I’m missing?