1. Kevin James has writing credits on 3 movies. Paul Blart: Mall Cop, The Zookeeper, and now Here Comes The Boom. It’s safe to say he shouldn’t be writing his own movies. Or if he’s going to, he needs more help.
2. He’s got a credit on Valet Guys, an upcoming comedy with Kevin Hart, and I will almost definitely go see that movie. It’s hard not to like James and he’s certainly just playing versions of Kevin James.
3. On the flip side, I’m skeptical of a movie that makes Joe Rogan look like a nice guy because Joe Rogan is not a nice guy.
4. The movie made for a better trailer than feature. The strongest part of the movie was the montage of James making his way up the UFC ladder. Most of the rest of the movie doesn’t work. It’s too obvious, too contrived, and too sappy (even for a movie I went to looking forward to sap). The fight scenes are fine but it’s still a comedy so you’re not getting anything groundbreaking.
5. That might as well be the sum up. There’s nothing new here. No new jokes, no new story lines. Hell, you can watch Warrior on Netflix instant and that movie has a better version of this story already and you get to watch Nick Nolte act.
6. I’ll end the way I started: I still find it difficult to dislike Kevin James. You know everything that’s going to happen before it happens but Salma Hayek is still hot, Henry Winkler is still adorable, and this guy Bas Rutten is around looking tough as nails and doing yoga. There are worse things out there than a predictable teacher-saves-school movie that’s a little too ernest.