I'm as young as I'll ever be.
2014 ‘Academy Awards’ Winners
Best motion picture of the year
“American Hustle” Charles Roven, Richard Suckle, Megan Ellison and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
“Captain Phillips” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti and Michael De Luca, Producers
“Dallas Buyers Club” Robbie Brenner and Rachel Winter, Producers
“Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman, Producers
“Her” Megan Ellison, Spike Jonze and Vincent Landay, Producers
“Nebraska” Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa, Producers
“Philomena” Gabrielle Tana, Steve Coogan and Tracey Seaward, Producers
WINNER: “12 Years a Slave” Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen and Anthony Katagas, Producers
“The Wolf of Wall Street” Nominees to be determined
Performance by an actor in a leading role
Christian Bale in “American Hustle”
Bruce Dern in “Nebraska”
Leonardo DiCaprio in “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Chiwetel Ejiofor in “12 Years a Slave”
WINNER: Matthew McConaughey in “Dallas Buyers Club”
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Barkhad Abdi in “Captain Phillips”
Bradley Cooper in “American Hustle”
Michael Fassbender in “12 Years a Slave”
Jonah Hill in “The Wolf of Wall Street”
WINNER: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”
Performance by an actress in a leading role
Amy Adams in “American Hustle”
WINNER: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
Sandra Bullock in “Gravity”
Judi Dench in “Philomena”
Meryl Streep in “August: Osage County”
Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Sally Hawkins in “Blue Jasmine”
Jennifer Lawrence in “American Hustle”
WINNER: Lupita Nyong’o in “12 Years a Slave”
Julia Roberts in “August: Osage County”
June Squibb in “Nebraska”
Achievement in directing
“American Hustle” David O. Russell
WINNER: “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón
“Nebraska” Alexander Payne
“12 Years a Slave” Steve McQueen
“The Wolf of Wall Street” Martin Scorsese
Thoughts on the ‘Fantastic Four’ casting
1. This is obviously a new direction. My first reaction was something like frustration and repulsion. Why is the Fantastic Four being made with the cast for my She’s All That reboot? So that’s my first reaction. But then I can calm down and understand that they’re obviously not trying to recreate the cast from the comics. They’re doing something new.
2. Why? The first FF franchise wasn’t good and that was an honest (poorly thought out?) attempt to bring those comics to the modern day, so I’m assuming they’re following the logic that since those movies were bad, the whole idea should be reworked. This is faulty logic and it’s annoying. There wasn’t a fundamental problem with the setup, they were just poorly made movies. Those films also had a terrible cast. Jessica Alba as an astronaut scientist was a stupid idea (side note: Jessica Alba is a bad actor and usually a bad cast outside of a Machete movie but this was particularly stupid). Ioan Gruffudd is fine but from the second he was cast it was clear he wasn’t going to have the gravitas to be the leader of this group. Julian McMahon? Not a good actor (big takeaway: don’t cast bad actors). I like Michael Chicklis but is it fair to say that he’s a great TV actor and not a movie star? Can we agree to that?
3. Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm makes sense. This is the only part of the cast that makes sense. There are people that have an issue with it but they’re wrong. I’ll let The Atlantic explain. I do think its funny that the only part of this cast that makes sense is the one so many people are getting upset about.
4. The rest: They’re kids. Everyone is kids. They’re all 25-30, which I guess isn’t kids, but this just doesn’t feel right. Johnny was the youngster and now they’re all youngsters. I get it, I’m overreacting and should wait to see what they’re going with this new look but it’s hard for me to not feel like this change was made solely for marketing purposes. “We’ll nail the younger demographic by casting the younger demographic.” Sigh.
5. I checked IMDb and it says Kate Mara is 31 which is 8 years older than she looks.
6. I haven’t seen Miles Teller yet but I’m looking forward to both The Spectacular Now and Whiplash. I’m not looking forward to That Awkward Moment but what if Teller and Jordan become, like, the new Newman and Redford or Mart and Lewis? They could be the young Stewart and McKellen. That could be fun.
7. My cast is going to skew more towards the classic because reasons. Here it is:
Reed Richards - Billy Crudup. A terrific, understated, actor who brings both authority and vulnerability to the table. He’s what this team needs at the head of the table.
Sure Storm - Gillian Anderson. Maybe it’s because I’ve been watching the X-Files for the first time and she’s on my mind but I can’t think of another actor (and she is a very good actor) who could play the intellect of this character better than Anderson. Bonus: Still sexy.
Johnny Storm - Michael B. Jordan. His career is on fire right now (accidental pun, I swear) and its because he’s a real movie star. He’s got everything he needs. He will still be around in 40 years, I promise. He’s also a good actor and makes sense in the part so I’m sticking with him.
Ben Grim - Kevin Durand. A hugely underrated character actor who usually plays bad guys or he’ll get called in to play a big body but I think he’s better than that. He always brings an extra layer with him. His toughness with a hint of a soft side is what Ben Grim needs.
Victor Von Doom - Vincent Cassel. He’s European and evil and he’s always good, so I’m done here.